Awards & Accolades
- 2010 National Recognition as a Bicycle Friendly Community - Joining surf with turf, Huntington Beach is awarded a Bicycle Friendly Community Bronze Award by the League of American Bicyclists for encouraging bicycling for transportation & recreation. The Bicycle Friendly Community award is presented only to communities with remarkable commitments to bicycling. The league's application process sets a high criterion for community bicycle developments in the areas of engineering, education, encouragement, evaluation and planning, and enforcement.
- City wins Mayor's Trophy for 2009 Rose Parade Float – As a part of the City of Huntington Beach's Centennial celebration, a float featuring a giant wave and many exuberant surfers and dancers demonstrated the spirit of Huntington Beach in the 120th Annual Rose Parade "Hats Off to Entertainment." On January 1, 2009, the float "Surf City USA" took off at 8 a.m., after having learned that it had won the Mayor's Trophy, an award awarded to the best city float. The parade was broadcasted on ABC, NBC, Univision, HGTV, Travel Channel, Discovery HD, KWHY, and KTLA, showing the world the grand spirit of Huntington Beach. To complete this beautiful creation, volunteers used seaweed, green moss, red carnations, dried papaya, and statice flowers.
- Best Family Beach – OC Parenting Magazine 3rd Annual Readers Choice Awards (September 2005)
- Number One Family Surf Beach in the United States – Dr. Stephen “ Dr. Beach” Leatherman (May 2004)
- One of the Top Five Destinations for Teenagers and Their Parents –New York Post (July 2004)
- Number One Best City to Live In – Orange County Register 13th Annual Reader Survey (September 2006)
- Number One Best Place to Walk/Jog/Bike – Orange County Register 13th Annual Reader Survey (September 2006)
- Number One Best Parade (Fourth of July) – Orange County Register 13th Annual Reader Survey (September 2006)
- Best Art Classes for Kid, Editor’s Choice (Huntington Beach Art Center) – OC Parenting Magazine 4th Annual Readers Choice Awards (September 2006)
- Eighth-Lowest Crime Rate Among Large U.S. Cities -- Federal Bureau of Investigation (July 2004)
- Best City to Live in Orange County – Orange County Register Consumer’s Choice Survey
- 6th Best City in the Nation for Women -- Ladies Home Journal Readers Survey.
Did you know?
Zoning Administrator meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month. Meeting Agendas, Action Agendas, and Minutes are available to view online.