Library Card Membership
Permanent residents of Huntington Beach and their children (minors under the age of 18), Huntington Beach business or property owners, and City of Huntington Beach employees may obtain a library card for no charge.
How to Obtain a Library Card
- Pre-register for a card by signing up online. (See how-to-video) If you already have a card with us and wish to renew your card, please skip the online pre-registration and proceed to step 2 instead. Library accounts may only be renewed in person with a valid ID.
- Within 30 days of your online sign up, please bring a valid photo ID (driver's license, school ID or government-issued card) to any Huntington Beach Public Library location.
- Show two items (see list below) with your name and current address.
- For minors, parental information is required. A parent or guardian (with official documentation) must be present when applying and signing for a card.
- Cards are non-transferable, and will be issued to an individual only. No family, group, or organization cards will be issued.
Acceptable Forms of Identification
- California Drivers License
- Printed Checks from a checkbook
- Paychecks with address printed on them within the last 60 days.
- Utility bills with address printed on it within the last 60 days.
- Credit card bills within the last 60 days.
- Bills of any type that have been mailed by an institution within the last 60 days.
- Mail from a college, business or institution within the last 60 days. (No personal mail or postcards)
- Rental agreements
- Escrow papers, property tax statements or mortgage papers
- Current magazines mailed to the applicant within the last 60 days.
- Current insurance cards that have the address printed on them
- Current car registration
- Business ownership in Huntington Beach must be indicated with a current Huntington Beach business license
- Property ownership in Huntington Beach must be indicated with a current property tax assessment.
- P.O. Box, business address, or mailing addresses, personal mail are not acceptable proofs of residency.
The library is funded by City of Huntington Beach taxes. Permanent residents, business or property owners in the City may obtain free library cards. Non-Huntington Beach taxpayers who wish to have card privileges may obtain membership if they reside in the state of California and:
- apply for a card and present valid identification (as described above) in person, at a Huntington Beach Public Library location.
- pay an annual non-refundable fee. Privileges remain valid for 12 months and are non-transferable.
If you have changed your address since applying for a library card, please come in person and bring two proofs of your new address. To update your phone number, please come in with a photo ID, a new application will not be required.
To keep records current, the library sets a 3-year expiration for resident cards and a 1-year expiration for nonresident cards. View chart of borrower types and expiration dates.
To continue library services once the card expires, bring in your library card, a photo ID and two proofs of your current address. Your current card will be reactivated. A replacement fee is charged for lost cards.
Please call the library immediately if your library card is ever out of your possession. You are responsible for all charges and materials on your card until you notify the library that the card is lost. You may replace a lost or stolen card at any HBPL location by showing a valid photo ID, proof of current address, and paying a replacement fee.
Give the gift of knowledge with library membership gift certificates. The cost of the certificate is the same cost of a non-resident library card and entitles the certificate holder to one year of library card privileges.
To redeem a gift certificate the recipient must bring in a valid photo identification and TWO official proofs of his or her current address. Gift certificate recipients must have proof of residency anywhere within the state of California. Acceptable proofs include CA Drivers License or ID card, utility bills, printed checks, paychecks with address, bank statements, magazines, etc. P.O. Box NOT accepted. Gift certificates are not redeemable for cash and have no cash value.