Library Card Membership
The city has over 1,000 parking spaces near the beach? You can purchase the Annual Beach Parking pass that allows discounted parking prices near the City beach. Learn more about this beach parking pass.
Permanent residents of the State of California may obtain a library card for no charge.
How to Obtain a Library Card
- Pre-register for a card by signing up online. If you already have a card with us and wish to renew your card, please skip the online pre-registration and proceed to step 2 instead. Library accounts may only be renewed in person with a valid ID.
- Within 30 days of your online sign up, please bring a valid photo ID (driver's license, school ID or government-issued card) to any Huntington Beach Public Library location.
- Show two items (see list below) with your name and current address.
- For minors, parental information is required. A parent or guardian (with official documentation) must be present when applying and signing for a card.
- Cards are non-transferable, and will be issued to an individual only. No family, group, or organization cards will be issued.
Acceptable Forms of Identification
- California Drivers License
- Printed Checks from a checkbook
- Paychecks with address printed on them within the last 60 days.
- Utility bills with address printed on it within the last 60 days.
- Credit card bills within the last 60 days.
- Bills of any type that have been mailed by an institution within the last 60 days.
- Mail from a college, business or institution within the last 60 days. (No personal mail or postcards)
- Rental agreements
- Escrow papers, property tax statements or mortgage papers
- Current magazines mailed to the applicant within the last 60 days.
- Current insurance cards that have the address printed on them
- Current car registration
- P.O. Box, business address, or mailing addresses, personal mail are not acceptable proofs of residency.
If you have changed your address since applying for a library card, please come in person and bring two proofs of your new address. To update your phone number, please come in with a photo ID, a new application will not be required.
To keep records current, the library sets a 3-year expiration for all library cards.
To continue library services once the card expires, bring in your library card, a photo ID and two proofs of your current address. Your current card will be reactivated. A replacement fee is charged for lost cards.
Please call the library immediately if your library card is ever out of your possession. You are responsible for all charges and materials on your card until you notify the library that the card is lost. You may replace a lost or stolen card at any HBPL location by showing a valid photo ID, proof of current address, and paying a replacement fee.