The City of Huntington Beach City Clerk’s Office is designated as an authorized United States Passport Acceptance Facility. Hours of operation for passport acceptance services is Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., excluding holidays. We accept your application for passport and forward all forms and documents to the United States Department of State, where your passport will be processed.
The second phase of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiave (WHTI) requires travellers have a passport book, passport card, or other document approved by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security when re-entering the U.S. by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the countries of the Carribean. You must have a passport book for international air travel.
The following estimates are provided for passport processing turn-around:
Routine Service: 4 to 6 Weeks
Expedite Service: 2 to 3 Weeks
|Type of Services||Price|
|*DS-11 (Age 16 and Over)||$110.00|
|*DS-11 (Age 15 and Under)||$ 80.00|
|Execution Fee Assessed on DS-11||$ 25.00|
|*DS-82 (Renewal by Mail)||$110.00|
|*Expedited Service||$ 60.00|
|*File Search Fee||$150.00|
|Passport Photo||$ 10.00|
*Fees payable to the U.S. Department of State must be made by check or money order only - no cash or credit/debit card accepted.
We offer the following services:
- First Time Applicants
- Passport Renewals
- Expedited Processing
- Lost/Stolen Information
- Passport Changes/Amendments (add extra visa pages)
- Passport Photos
If you need to inquire about the status of a passport application already in process or for travel information, you can contact the National Passport Information Center Toll Free at 1-877-487-2778 and select prompt #3. TTY/TDD (for the hearing impaired), please call 1-877-874-7793. You can also obtain status information by accessing their website at http://travel.state.gov.
Standard processing of a passport application, from the time it is accepted at this facility until the time you receive your passport in the mail, is approximately 4-6 weeks.
First Time Applicants:
All passport applicants regardless of age must appear in person before a passport agent at the time the passport application is executed. First time passport applicants need to complete a passport application form #DS-11 and report their social security number on the form. Children to age 15 must appear in person with both parents or legal guardians. Applicants 16 to 17 need to appear in person with one parent or legal guardian. Along with the completed application you will need to provide the following:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship. Which can be a previous U.S. passport, or a certified birth certificate, or if applicable, a Certificate of Naturalization, a Certificate of Citizenship, or Report of Birth Abroad. Photocopies of these documents are not acceptable. Please note that applicants born in the State of California need to submit a state-certified Certificate of Live Birth. California birth abstracts and hospital birth records are not acceptable.
Note: Applicants under 16 years of age using a previous passport; or INS Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization to show proof of citizenship must also supply a birth certificate showing parents’ names. In this case, since the birth certificate is not being used for citizenship, it may be a foreign birth certificate, an abstract or other type of birth certificate.
- Proof of Identity. Such as a valid driver’s license, or a government identification card, or a recently issued Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship. The document must include your signature and a photograph that is a good likeness of you. If you can not prove your identity, you must appear with an identifying witness, who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien who has known you for at least 2 years. Your witness must prove his or her identity and complete and sign an Affidavit of Identifying Witness form #DS-71, before the passport acceptance agent.
- One recent passport photograph. The City of Huntington Beach now offers passport photo services in the City Clerk’s office, 2nd floor, at City Hall. A photo is available at a cost of $10.00.
- All application fees. The passport application fee is $110.00 per person if you are 16 years of age or older, and $80.00 per person if you are under the age of 16. This fee must be paid by check or money order, and is made payable to U.S Department of State. The execution fee is $25.00 per application, and must be paid by cash, check or money order, and is made payable to the City of Huntington Beach. The same fee is collected at all acceptance facilities, including the Post Offices.
- Access a DS-11 Form
Passport Renewals (Self-Service Form #DS-82):
Renewing your passport by mail has been made easy. The fee for passport renewal by mail is $110.00, and must be paid by check or money order. Eligibility to renew your passport by mail is established, if the following four conditions are true:
- You can submit your most recent passport, which is not mutilated or damaged.
- You were at least 16 years old when your most recent passport was issued.
- You were issued your most recent passport less than 15 years ago.
- You presently use the same name as the name listed on your most recent passport or you have had your name changed by marriage or court order, and can submit proper supporting documentation.
If you do not meet the previous conditions, you are not eligible to renew your passport by mail. Instead you will need to complete a first-time passport application, form #DS-11, furnish the required documentation, and appear in person at a passport acceptance facility.
If you are eligible to renew your passport by mail, you will need to mail the following items:
- A completed passport renewal application, form #DS-82.
- Your most recent passport.
- One recent passport photograph. It is best to purchase the photograph from a passport photo shop, as they are aware of the precise requirements of passport photographs.
- The passport renewal fee, in the form of a check or money order, made payable to the Department of State.
- If applicable, a marriage certificate or court order indicating your name change. This document must bear an official seal; uncertified copies or notarized documents are not acceptable.
The addresses for mailing the renewal application are listed on the back of the form (#DS-82).
If you have travel plans in the 3 to 4 week range, expedite processing of your application or renewal is available for an additional $60.00 per application. (For renewal-by-mail expedite service, the information would still be mailed to the same addresses listed on the back of the form #DS-82.) With regular or priority mailing, you would receive a passport in the mail in approximately 15 to 20 working days. The expedite fee must be ADDED to the application/renewal fee made payable to the Department of State.
If overnight return of the issued passport to your home is also desired, the cost is $14.85** and this amount should be added to fees paid to the Department of State.
**Mailing fees are subject to change without notice
If you require a passport in less than two weeks, you will need to make an appointment and apply in person at the Los Angeles Passport Agency, located in the Federal Office Building, 11000 Wilshire Blvd., in West Los Angeles. The Agency’s hours are 7:00 am to 3:00 pm, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. To make an appointment, please call the Los Angeles Passport Agency’s recorded appointment line at (877) 487-2778 and select prompt #2. Proof of travel is required.
If your valid passport has been lost or stolen, you will need to complete an original passport application, form #DS-11, and a Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport, form #DS-64, and appear in person. Please bring any previous U.S. passports that you may have and follow ALL first-time passport application instructions.
Persons whose passports have been lost or stolen are not eligible to renew passports by mail. The Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport is not required if your lost or stolen passport is now expired.
The form DS-5504 may be used within one year of a passport’s issuance for routine services to make a data page change, such as a name change, without charge. New photos are required. Instead of amending the passport, a new passport will be issued with new issue and expiration dates. (This form may always be used for corrections due to printing errors by Department of State.) If the change occurs more than one year after the issue date, the customer will have to reapply using a DS-82 or DS-11 and pay accordingly.
The form DS-4085 will be used for the addition of visa pages; the fee is $82.00 for routine service. If expedited service is required, an additional fee of $60.00 is required.
Both forms are available in the City Clerk’s Office; however, it is the customer’s responsibility to mail them to the address indicated on each form.
The Police Department priovides free security checks of your home while you are on vacation! This free service is provided courtesy of the HBPD Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP). Sign up online for this free service.