Contract Class Instructors

Are you interested in becoming a Contract Class Instructor?

Complete the Contract Instructor Application here.

What is a recreation contract class instructor?

recreation contract class instructor is an independent contractor for the City (contract instructors are not employees) who provides a service to the community in the form of a class, workshop, or camp. Registration for recreation programs is accepted through the City's website, Workshops or classes designed to sell or recommend products from your business are prohibited. We recommend reviewing past issues of SANDS Programs, Recreation, Community & Library Services Guide to verify that a similar program is not already offered.  

What fees are required to run programs?

Fees retained:
Administrative fee: The City will add a $6 administrative fee to the total price of the offered program. This fee is not paid to the instructor.
Payment split: The City's standard payment split for contract classes is 70/30, where:
              o 70% is paid to the instructor, and
              o 30% is retained by the City to cover the costs of facility usage, registration, administration, and promotion of classes. Contract instructors do not rent City facilities.

Applying to be a recreation class instructor:

Interested instructors are required to submit an Independent Contractor Application. Per California Assembly Bill 5 (AB5), the instructor must meet the criteria below in order to provide recreation classes with the City.
AB5 ABC Test:
              A. The [instructor] is free from the control and direction of the hiring entity in connection with the performance of the work, both under the contract for the performance of the work and in fact.
              B. The [instructor] performs work that is outside the usual course of the hiring entity’s business.
              C. The [instructor] is customarily engaged in an independently established trade, occupation, or business of the same nature as that involved in the work performed.

Application review:

The Community & Library Services Department reviews new proposals every other month. The Department will review all new proposals submitted to determine if there is space and community need for the proposed program. The City will contact you within two months for your application submission to discuss whether or not your proposal has been accepted and if you will move forward in the application process.

Required documents:

If your application is accepted, you will need to complete the following mandatory forms and submit to their assigned site supervisor. Insurance must have the following information submitted before they can promote or offer their classes within the City.

              • Proof of current insurance
                  o Instructors may purchase 2024 insurance through a City-affiliated partner, Alliant, or provide their own insurance that meets the City’s insurance requirements.
              • Direct deposit authorization (ACH) form 
                   o Must also provide a blank, voided check or your bank's direct deposit letter
              • W-9 form 
              • Obtain a current City of Huntington Beach business license 
              • All instructors and their staff must be fingerprinted prior to teaching a class, process your Live Scan Fingerprinting through a fingerprinting service 

More information:

Please review these tips before submitting an application:
              • Review the current issue of the SANDS to see if your proposed class is already being offered.
              • If a similar program is being offered, how is yours different? Can the program curriculum be modified to meet a community need that is currently not being met?
              • Workshops and classes that sell or recommend products from your business or promote your consulting services are not permitted.

Contract Instructor Insurance

As of June 1, 2021, all instructors are required to carry their own general liability insurance. Proof of insurance must be provided to the City before a contract between the City and the Contractor (instructor) is initiated. Insurance costs must be assumed by the instructor. The instructor can purchase general liability from any agency of their choice.

Read more about insurance requirements here.