A Fire Watch is a temporary measure intended to ensure continuous and systematic surveillance of an activity, building or portion thereof by one or more qualified individuals for the purposes of identifying and controlling fire hazards, detecting early signs of unwanted fire, raising an alarm of fire and notifying the fire department.
A Fire Watch will be established at the time of an incident call in which a fire system is required to be shut off. The Fire staff at the incident will collect the Responsible Party's name and email, and have them sign an electronic form to start the Fire Watch.
If your business has been placed on Fire Watch, please follow all procedures in City Specification 402, Fire Watch.
Fire Watch Procedure
- Receive notice to begin Fire Watch. The Responsible Party identified by the Fire Department should receive an email with additional instructions.
- Set up ACA contact(s). Go to ACA Help Center to Create a New Account. ACA contacts include: Responsible Party, Business Owner, and Fire Watch Company.
- Contact HBFD to connect associated contact to record. Call 714.536.5411 (M-F 8am to 5pm), or send an email to [email protected] and request to be added as the Fire Watch contact (include first/last name and address of building on fire watch). Or, fill out an online form on ACA using these directions.
- Receive Fire Watch order. This will be send via email to the Responsible Party and Business Owner.
- Upload Daily Fire Watch Log by 8AM. This can be performed by any ACA contact including Responsible Party, Business Owner, or Fire Watch Company.
- Log into ACA
- Go to Fire record > Fire Watch record > Record actions – Upload file
- Complete Fire Watch and Request Inspection. On last day of fire watch, before 8AM log into ACA and upload the last Daily Fire Watch log, then go to Record Information > Inspections > Request Inspection for "Fire Watch Complete" for the same day.
- Receive a final inspection, and if compliant, the Fire Watch contact will get a RESCIND Fire Watch notice via email.
The person performing Fire Watch shall be from a licensed security firm, registered as a security officer in the State of California who has a valid Huntington Beach business license, or who can provide an affidavit of qualifications approved by the Fire Code Official (see City Specification 402, Fire Watch, Section 5 Fire Watch Personnel). Approval of the affidavit will be via email.
If there are questions regarding Fire Watch, please contact the Community Risk Reduction Division at 714.536.5411.
Did you know?
Solar energy has been used for over 2700 years. In 700 BC, glass lenses were used to make fire by magnifying the sun’s rays. Learn more about solar
City of Huntington Beach
2000 Main Street
Huntington Beach, CA
Phone: (714) 536-5411
Fax: (714) 374-1551