State Fire Clearance
Fire Clearance For State Licensed Facilities
Fire clearances are required by the Health and Safety Code prior to initial licensing or before any changes to a licensed facility can be approved by the State, such as increasing the number of clients. State-licensed care facilities require a fire safety inspection (or fire clearance) to be conducted by the local fire authority. Facilities requiring these inspections include: day care, residential care for the elderly or disabled, health care facilities or drug/alcohol rehabilitation facilities.
Pre-Inspection for Fire Clearance
Prior to your application to a State licensing agency, you may request an optional pre-inspection to help you identify any possible changes needed to meet the requirements for your particular facility. An Application for State Fire Clearance, along with site and floor plans, is required, in addition to the applicable fees.
Prior to scheduling an inspection, complete an Application for State Fire Clearance with the following attachments:
Prior to a fire clearance inspection, a completed State of California Fire Safety Inspection Request (STD 850 form) must be received by this office from the state agency. (NOTE: The STD 850 form is NOT required for a Pre-Application Inspection.) Must be within 6 months of inspection request.
- Dimensional site plan showing all buildings on site, access driveways, setbacks from property lines and distances between buildings. Include fenced areas and exits to the street.
Floor plan of the building that shows all rooms, interior and exterior doors, windows, bedrooms, common use areas, attached garages, etc. Indicate the use of each room on the plan.
- Number and location of client bedrooms. Please specify how many clients are ambulatory vs. non-ambulatory and the location of their respective bedrooms. (Residential Care Facility only)
- Location of any ramps for all interior and exterior changes in elevation for all exit paths, including slope, handrails, guardrails. (Residential Care Facility only)
- Information and location of all smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, fire alarm pull station/bell, fire sprinkler system riser/inspectors test valve/Fire Department Connection (FDC), fire protection water tank and hydrant, if applicable.
Submit directly to the Fire Department counter, 5th Floor, City Hall, via email at [email protected], or via fax at 714-536-5411.
Fees shall be assessed (to the applicant) based on how many clients your facility will be licensed to serve:
25 clients or less - $50.00 (or current fee schedule)
- 26 or more clients - $100.00 (or current fee schedule)
Note: Fees will be charged per inspection. Re-inspection must include a new application.
Fire Clearance (STD 850 Form):
Note: No re-inspections for failed inspections. It is advised to obtain pre-application inspections in advance of a fire clearance.
Link to pdf Application for State Fire Clearance
Did you know?
meetings are held on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month. Meeting Agendas, Action Agendas, and Minutes are available to view online.
City of Huntington Beach
2000 Main Street
Huntington Beach, CA
Phone: (714) 536-5411
Fax: (714) 374-1551