Administrative Citation Frequently Asked Questions

I sent in my money for a hearing, but how do I know where to go, and when do I go there?

All that information is contained on the front side of your citation.  The date is written in by the Issuing Officer.

I went to the courthouse in Westminster, why didn’t they have a record of my citation?

Administrative Citations are handled “in-house” at City Hall, 2000 Main Street, Huntington Beach, CA 92648 on Wednesday mornings at 8 a.m.  All this information can be found on the front of the citation.

Where do I send my payment?

City of Huntington Beach, P.O.Box 831, Huntington Beach, CA 92648

How do I get in touch with the City Attorney’s Office designee?

If you would like to submit a written declaration, you can send it to City of Huntington Beach, City Attorney, P.O.Box 190, Huntington Beach, CA 92648, or call the Administrative Citation hotline at (714) 375-8446.

Whom can I speak with about these violations?

The Issuing Officer wants you to be in compliance and is more than willing to explain to you how to do that.

Can the City Attorney cancel my citation?

Only the Issuing Officer or Department Head can cancel the citation through a preliminary review.  The City Attorney’s Office will ensure a proper judicial process.

I am going to be out of town on my hearing date, but I still want to attend a hearing.  What can I do?

Follow the standard procedure to contest the citation, noting that you are not going to be available on the hearing date.  If the fine deposit has been paid in a timely manner, and a hearing request has been made, the City Attorney’s Office will accommodate you.  If you have further questions about this call the Administrative Citation hotline at (714) 375-8446 and leave a detailed message. 

What happens if I don’t pay my fine?

The City may pursue any and all legal and equitable remedies.  Pursuit of one remedy does not preclude the pursuit of other remedies until the total fines, interest and penalties owed by a person under chapter 1.18 of the Huntington Beach Municipal Code have been paid.  Some possible remedies could include:

I would like a fine deposit waiver.  What is “substantial evidence” establishing that I don’t have the money to pay this fine?

Financial ability can usually be established with receipts, copies of bills and bank statements.

For a more in depth look at the collection of unpaid fines, refer to Huntington Beach Municipal Code 1.18.150

Did you know?

Think you may have or know of a Code Enforcement violation? You can now submit a Code Enforcement Investigation Request online!

Contact Information

City of Huntington Beach
City Attorney Office
2000 Main Street
Huntington Beach, CA
Phone: (714) 536-5555
Fax: (714) 374-1590

Back to Top  up-arrow